I’ve been on a granola kick. So naturally, I started wondering how easy it would be to make my own. The answer? Very. What’s great about this recipe is that it is 100% customizable. You can make it as simple or complex as your heart or wallet desires. Just hit up your local grocery or bulk food store and let your imagination and taste buds run wild!
What you need:
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup seeds
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (chopped if large)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp spice (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, etc.)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup liquid sweetener (maple syrup, honey, agave, etc.)
- 1/3 cup oil or fat (coconut oil, butter, olive oil, etc.)
Step 1 – Mix dry ingredients together (except dried fruit and chocolate)
Step 2 – Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients
Step 3 – Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet
Step 4 – Bake at 300°f for 35 min or until desired colour is reached, stirring twice.
Step 5 – Mix in fruit (if using) while still warm.
Step 6 – Mix in chocolate after cooled.
*Some great add-ins include coconut flakes, banana chips, blueberries, raisins, cranberries, apricots, cashews, almonds, walnuts, pistachio, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia.
* Don’t like dried fruit or chocolate or seeds? Just substitute for more rolled oats or other dry ingredient of your choice!
*I made my granola of the less sweet side. If you want a sweeter granola try using 1/2 cup sweetener and 1/2 cup oil instead.